Sunday, February 18, 2007

observational essay: The Ceremony Room

It was near noon and I was near to missing the beginning of the Buddhist ceremony that was to be taken place at a Temple located in the Denver Metro area on Federal Street and Iliff Avenue. As I drove into the enormous and crowded parking lot, I realized that today’s Mass was going to be nothing but a full or crowed room. I thought to myself Damn, I forgot it is Sunday. I hope ceremony room does not get too crowded. I quickly parked my car at the far end of the parking lot for all other parking space was already taken. The parking lot was divided into two sections that were separated by a row of trees whose branches seemed to be withering from the weeks of snow storm to which it had withstood.

To the left of the pathway that led to the main entrance was a small building. As I glanced inside, I noticed children from age five to fifteen sitting cross-legged on the bright red carpet staring up at a large overhead. I assumed they are in Class. As I continued to anxiously walk up the pathway towards the main entrance, I noticed the delicate architect of the temple. It was similar to one of those temples in Thailand that I had seen on the Discovery Channel. Each corner of the bright yellow building was arched upward similar to the shape of a crescent moon. As I pulled on the heavy doors I felt a slight breeze from the cool air that was circulating inside. The entry area was very spacious; to the front was a row of shoes that were neatly lined up in rows in front of the steps the led to the ceremony room. I hastily walked toward the step, took off my shoes, and made my entrance into the ceremony room. I remained standing in the back of the room trying not to disturb the ceremony that had already begun.

The room was enormous, much bigger than the entry level. To the front of the room, was an Alter made out of what seemed to be Maple Oak. The Alter consisted of three levels in a shape similar to a pyramid, the top level had a golden deity of Buddha, and it had to be at least four times my size. The golden color of the deity intensified as the glistening sunlight started to set through the windows. The sunlight reflection off the deity gave the whole room a beautiful golden glow giving the room its lively sensation. On the second level of the Alter was at least ten vibrant vases filled with flowers. The vases were evenly distributed around the deity in a half circle. On the third level of the Alter was even more flowers. To the left, however, was a medal metallic bowl which was used as a bell, to the right was a hollow wooden bowl which was used as a drum. In the center was small golden bowl with handles in a shape of a dragon attached to the sides. In the golden bowl were three incense sticks. The incense sticks were lit and as it slowly burned, it released a distinctive aroma throughout the room. Visible smoke could be seen moving away from the burning incense sticks. On each side of the Alter were two smaller Alters. Each of the smaller Alter had approximately 25 x 25 small picture frames hanging from it. In the picture frames were pictures of deceased Buddhists that had past away within the recent years.

The crowd was segregated: women were to stand on the left half of the room and men were to stand on the right half of the room. Everyone was chanting sacred words that were unfamiliar to my ears. The chanting followed the same rhythm as the drum that was echoing through out the room. The chanting was guided by one man, the monk. The monk stood in front of the crowd facing the Alter. A microphone was attached to the yellow robe that gracefully draped over his body. Every single inch of his skin from the neck down except for his hand was covered by the robe. As the sun shined on his head and as the room started to get humid from all the breathing, sweat began running down his head. His head that had some new hair growth sprouting from it since the last time he has shaved it.

An hour have past, the pace of the chanting continued at a steady pace. The majority of the crowd seemed to be getting exhausted. Their posture started to decline as they started to slouch. The room had large tightly sealed windows that allowed the sun to shine in but did not allow fresh air to flow freely in and out to circulate the room. The confined room was making the crowd sweat, their face showed signs of relinquish. The children who came along with their parents have already given up. They were no longer following the praying procedure, they were no longer chanting; instead they were sitting on the ground restlessly waiting for the prayer session to end.

Another half-an-hour past and the sounds of the drum started to slow down. As the drum began to slow down, the chanting slowed down with it. Within minutes the sounds of the drum came to a complete halt along with the chanting. The ceremony also came to an end. The crowd then turned around and calmly exited the room. As people cleared out from the room, the humid air also cleared out with them. Standing there alone I was bewildered. I couldn’t believe what I have just witnessed; I have never seen anything like it. The room was now empty although the aroma from the incense burning was still present and the smell still potent. And there in front of me, the golden deity continued to glow throughout the room as the sunshine continued to reflect its light against it.





No comments: